Oxford Digital Disruption and Platforms Programme
- 6 weeks
- Short programme
About the programme
The emergence of digital platforms in every industry is driving change throughout the global economy.
Platforms create new-market disruption and result in opportunities for firms to generate revenues in ways that have never existed before.
Along with platforms, artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain are disruptive technologies that can challenge the way entire industries work, and beyond that, can create societal change. This programme is designed to help those in leadership, policy making, government, legal, and entrepreneurial roles learn how to effectively navigate these challenges.
Looking at industry-specific use cases, participants will gain critical knowledge of what differentiates between successful digital transformation, why some transformation efforts fail, and adopt the tools to drive digital transformation in business.
Delivered in partnership with online learning provider, Esme Learning, you will become part of a community, learning together through a dedicated online campus.
An introduction to the programme
The rise of the platform business model provides a window of opportunity for new entrants looking to leverage artificial intelligence and blockchain technologies.
On completion of this programme, you'll walk away with:
- An understanding of why platform-based business models, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology are
considered disruptive technologies.
- Skills to evaluate whether an industry is ready for disruption.
- A strategic plan to navigate the challenges and opportunities presented.
- Critical insights from leading industry experts and University of Oxford faculty.
- Access to the Oxford Executive Education Alumni LinkedIn group.
Welcome to your online campus.
Applications to join the programme will be accepted until the end of the orientation module.
Introduction to digital disruption
To develop a foundation, gain a comprehensive understanding of:
- Core concepts of digital disruption
- Models and technologies that are leading the disruption
- Key differences between, and impacts of, platforms, AI and blockchain technology.
Explore the mechanisms and competitive advantages of the platform model including:
- The variety of industries that have been, and currently are being, disrupted by platforms (including music, ridesharing, finance, hospitality and healthcare)
- What factors enabled the industry to be disrupted by platforms
- How to develop the foresight to identify the industries that are ready for platform disruption.
Disruption from AI and blockchain technologies
Learn what makes applications of AI and blockchain technology truly disruptive:
- Examine a variety of examples of disruptive applications of these technologies
- Explore the conditions that enabled/will enable them to become disruptive
- View different disruptive applications of these technologies
- Examine what makes an industry ready for transformation from either AI or blockchain technology.
Responding to disruption I
Look at how incumbents can respond to digital disruption by using scenario planning to determine where they should focus their digital transformation efforts:
- Evaluate what needs to be done in order to embrace AI or blockchain technology in a product's strategy and transition a product to a platform model
- Conduct a scenario planning exercise and use experiential learning to develop a strategy for how to respond to the disruption(s).
Responding to disruption II
Explore how to change the identity of a business to embrace digital transformation, including:
- How to approach process changes as a result of new technologies
- Which key strategies prepare people for change
Embrace the future of digital disruption:
- Examine emerging regulation
- Understand the impact of regulation on technology and its disruptive power
- Create a strategic plan for preparing a specific business for digital disruption.
Options for organisations
If you are looking to integrate Oxford online programmes with your organisation’s learning and development strategy, we have tailored solutions to help deliver an innovative learning experience.