Oxford Real Estate Programme
Industry challenges addressed
The programme will address a series of challenges facing the real estate industry and develop propositions for dealing with them.
Challenge 1 - what issues will shape real estate performance?
- Changing occupier preferences
Challenge 2 - do we know what is happening in the occupier markets?
- Why cities? Which cities? Why are London and NYC accelerating?
- The economics of real estate rent and prices
- Changes in occupier preferences
- The office of the future: flexible working or work as communion?
- e-commerce and retailing and distribution
- The sustainability agenda
Challenge 3 - finance: what is the optimal capital structure?
- The four quadrants - equity and debt, public and private
- Open-ended funds, private equity real estate and opportunity funds
- Listed real estate companies and REITs
- Levels of leverage
- Using derivatives
Challenge 4: can development make money?
- Viability and risk assessment
- Assessing, managing and sub-contracting risk
- Partnership agreements and JVs
Challenge 5: how should investment portfolios be built?
- Is Modern Portfolio Theory useful in building portfolios?
- Finding alpha and beta in real estate funds
- Can we measure and manage real estate risk?
- Developed and emerging markets
- Formal and informal barriers to investment: What makes a country investable and where is the next opportunity?
- Structuring: managing currency and tax issues
- Diversification - the data
Challenge 6: what will make your real estate enterprise succeed?
- What do clients want?
- Optimal fund structures
- Fee models that work for both sides
Group case presentations: designing an innovative real estate enterprise