Faculty & Research
The School

How we support you


Many colleges have houses and flats for families and couples. Please contact the individual college directly to see what they have available. The Graduate Accommodation Office also has a selection of couples/family accommodation.


University childcare provides subsidised childcare facilities for all matriculated students and staff.

St Anne’s, Wolfson, Balliol, and Somerville colleges have onsite nursery facilities. They also accept applicants from other colleges, although staff and students belonging to their college will be prioritised.

There are schools and nurseries throughout Oxford, catering for children from four months onwards. Oxfordshire also has some very well regarded independent schools.

Financial support

If you have dependants, you may qualify for financial support while studying, depending on your circumstances. You may also be eligible for Child Tax Credits, the Parents’ Learning Allowance and/or the Childcare Grant. UK students can apply to the Access to Learning Fund for urgent financial help while studying, and all matriculated students are eligible to apply to the University’s Hardship Fund, which makes one-off awards for students in financial difficulties caused by unexpected circumstances.

Meeting others

Oxford has a number of parenting organisations and many people join the Oxford University Newcomers’ Club, which offers useful advice and information about living in Oxford. The club organises a packed programme of events, including special visits to historical sites not normally open to the public. There is an informal coffee morning every Wednesday and numerous groups that meet weekly.

I had a baby during my DPhil studies. It’s a challenge juggling studies with a baby, but Oxford provides a great deal of information and support to help you find day care and nurseries that work for you. There is also funding available, which is very useful.

Ammara Mahmood, DPhil student

Explore our community