As we are about to embark on the Oxford Executive MBA journey, many of us might feel a mix of excitement and nerves. An Executive MBA is undoubtedly a significant investment of resources and time. It can naturally be intimidating to think about the challenges that lie over the next two years. But what I have learned at Oxford Executive MBA experience events, with real dedication and hard work, Saïd Business School and the wider network of the University of Oxford can open up a world of new opportunities and help us achieve our professional goals.
Here are my key takeaways from Saïd Business School faculty, recruitment and admissions staff, alumni, and current students through conversations on campus at the Executive MBA experience days, college dinners, and online meetings when joining for the program:
- We should establish both explicit and implicit goals for ourselves as we pursue an Executive MBA. These goals may include obtaining a leadership position at a desired company or starting our own business. Having a clear vision and purpose will help us stay motivated and focused throughout the program. By setting these goals, we can work towards achieving them over the next two years.
- We should stay organised and manage our time effectively as the Oxford Executive MBA program is demanding. We can use various online tools, such as discussions, to-do lists, calendars, and study groups provided through Saïd Business School’s digital learning platform Canvas, to stay on top of our coursework, be involved in social activities and make the most of our time.
- We should surround ourselves with a supportive network of individuals.
- Current Saïd Business School students, faculty, and alumni can all be very valuable resources as we navigate our Executive MBA journey. We should not be afraid to reach out for help or advice when we need it.
- We should be willing to take risks and step outside of our comfort zones. The Oxford Executive MBA programme is an excellent opportunity to push our boundaries and try new things. To grow, we should not be scared to push ourselves.
- We should keep things in perspective, stay positive and most importantly enjoy! There will definitely be ups and downs along the way the next two years. We should always remember that challenges and setbacks are only temporary, and every difficulty presents an opportunity for learning and personal growth.
- We should take breaks and give ourselves time to rest and recharge. Taking breaks can help us be more productive and effective in our studies, work and other activities. It is also essential to reward our efforts through indulging in a hobby or spending time with loved ones.
With dedication and perseverance, I am confident we can all accomplish great things through the Oxford Executive MBA program and beyond.