One-day course exploring Web Mapping and showing you how to use a variety of different tools to display and communicate spatial inform.
We will have a recap of the basics of spatial data and focus on how we get a variety of different types of data into web mapping platforms. We will review some of the different platforms available and spend most of the time looking at the MapBox platform.
No experience of using spatial data is needed for this course, but some experience would be beneficial.
No experience of coding is needed for this course.
- Understand the different web mapping platforms available
- Know the different advantages and disadvantages of web mapping
- be able to import data into a MapBox web map and host this on a website
- be able to customise the data and basemap styling to suit their requirements
- Understand the pricing structures of different web mapping platforms
- 9:50am – 10:00am – Registration and Refreshments
- 10:00am – 10:20am – What is Spatial Data?
- 10:20am – 10:45am – What is a Web Map?
- 10:45am – 11:15am – Practical 1: Spatial Data and Google Fusion Tables
- 11:15am – 11:45am – How do we customise our web map?
- 11:45am – 12:30pm – Practical 2: MapBox
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm – 1:45pm – Recap and other Web Mapping Platforms
- 1:45pm – 3:00pm – Practical 3: customising MapBox
- 3:00pm – 3:15pm – Tea/Coffee
- 3:15pm – 4:00pm/4:30pm – Practical 4: Using your own data and other platforms
This course can be taken as a one-day course, or taken in conjunction with another one-day course on 16th November 2018 Using spatial data from Social Media.
Participants will need to bring their own laptops. You will need a web browser (Chrome or Firefox) and a working installation of QGIS. You will also find a mouse very useful for working with some of the spatial data.